Another cringe-as-I-upload kind of episode.
Links go right to the RSS feeds to save ya’ll some trouble. If you know of any good music podcasts from Japan that actually play music, let me know and I’ll add them to the list.
- Monochrome Cafe – Professional, very, very mellow. Do not listen to while operating heavy machinery.
- Pod the Music – Professional, J-Pop. If you like J-Pop, this one’s probably your best bet.
- Progressive Music Cast – Amateur, infrequent, not sure if they actually get around to playing any music, but it’s highly ranked.
- abcdefg*record – Podcasts from an independent label. More talk than music. The music is definitely not mainstream. Might appeal more to the pink haired, body-pierced, tattooed crowd.
- BEATCLUB – 1 minute samples. Very popular, maybe I’ll like it more if I give it a chance.
- NETZ_MUSIC – Commercially sponsored, mostly talk, songs not played all the way through. Perhaps interesting if you’re fluent and curious to hear famous musicians just be themselves.
- Pod Street Music – Not exclusively Japanese music, but podsafe.
- TEPCO & Yoshimoto EntamecasTY – Commercially sponsored, either mostly or exclusively talk.
- Oricon Single Top 40 – Commercial, professional, no music, just listing off the chart-topping song titles.
- Radio Sakamoto – Ryuichi Sakamoto’s podcast for J-WAVE FM. He’s articulate and easy to understand in comparison to other podcasters, but unfortunately no music, which seems to be typical for podcasts produced by radio stations. They strip the music from the their radio shows and recycle them as podcasts.
In summary, I haven’t been able to find a music show I like by searching the podcast rankings, but keep in mind that J-Pop really isn’t my thing. I guess it’s like someone who lives in Nashville but would rather have his ears chewed off by rabid weasels than listen to country music. If you can read Japanese, check out po-di-um.net’s blog or Staff Picks for other recommended podcasts. They review all kinds of podcasts, not just J-Pop ones.
Update: Listener recommended J-Pop podcasts:
- Jpop Blast – Definitely not podsafe. I don’t owe the price-gouging music industry here any favors for putting out a never ending barrage of homogenized bubble gum pop songs sung off key by here-today-pumping-gas-tomorrow cookie-cutter teenie bopper dance troops, so tune into to their show if that’s your kind of thang. (…Did that come out of me? Golly gee, who says you need a vagina to turn into a PMS monster?)
- Muzie – Not a podcast but rather a community site for indy & independent artists in Japan. The should have a podcast, really, because on sites like this, sifting through the sludge for gold nuggets is an arduous process.
Like this post?
Sign up for my blog and podcast updates and never miss a post.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.